Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Flames of War: Hungary enters the fray


Spring turns into summer, and gaming remains more of a rare commodity than I would otherwise like it to be. Nonetheless, found a few nights out last month to sneak in some gaming. This outing was me trying out a borrowed Hungarian army (as opposed to my usual borrowed British army) in a fierce Flames or War battle.

Running through the figs I had, I went with a "Rohamagyus Uteg" Assault Gun Battery tank company. Seemed to have a decent number of big guns, and a few Huszar platoons to get some extra maneuverability out of it. Rolling off, we went with the Breakthrough scenario. I brought in the bulk of my forces in the southeast corner of the map, pictured above. My reinforcements would come in the northwest corner, at some point, where I was to hopefully collect some objectives when they went live in turn six. My esteemed opponent Maurice took command of the German defenders, Volksgrenadiers with some oomph to back them up.



Oh, air support. I can't play without it, even when it's sporadic and unreliable. Lining up a shot like this is just too pretty. Two StuGs and a PaK50 had a bad day.



The theory was to have these PaK40s provide covering fire as my massed Zrinyis tooled around the ruins. First their support got eliminated in turn one, then the guns were cleaned out before turn three closes. Yeah.



Here you can make out the Zrinyi fleet clearing the ruins in the east. His footsoldiers are all over my objectives, and below them his big guns camp out in the woods, making me pay dearly on the advance.



In the aforementioned backfield, my Panthers spearhead a mighty pounding on zhe Gehrmans hiding in the treeline. The slow march of the tanks up the backfield was actually the center of my attention, despite what the lack of pics here would lead you to believe. Dislodging the Germans from the ruins would take too long, I surmised, so I opted to just tool around them and hope my armor held out until I seized the objectives in tandem with my reinforcements.



Speaking of which: turn five finally sees the first of my reinforcements finally show up. Finally. Zrinyis make up for lost time with a few ranging shots, not taking out much, but changing the calculus of the game.



And turn six brings in the last of my reserves, in the form of a Puskas platoon to swarm the panzergrenadiers camping the objectives. A pitched fight breaks out, with my Hungarians getting the best of it.



Panthers arrive from their long journey, none the worse for wear. Definitely the MVPs of my side. Even f they didn't directly eliminate much themselves, they were the rock-solid center that couldn't be ignored.



Hungary takes the day by a point or so, despite their best attempts. Sorry for the lack of notes towards the end, I got caught up, you know, actually paying attention to the game and all. I am sure Maurice will correct me on any details I missed. The Hungarians treated me pretty well. Not sure I like them any better than the Brits, but they will do the job until I, at some point in the future, get my Cobra Germans painted. One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment