Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mighty Armies: first game


Last week, Maurice, Aaron and I sat down to play Mighty Armies for the first time. I brought the Dark Elves of Hyperborea to bear arms against a fierce goblin force and an army of Leonines and their allies. (All figs either Rebel or Splintered Light.)



The battlefield. My elves come in from the north, a terrifying Dragonman at the center, with veteran armored Swords on his left and skirmishers on his right. Those sword infantry proved to be rock solid, and held their own to the bitter end. And the Dragonman was a nightmare, taking on entire enemy units singlehandedly.



Goblin cavalry take shots at the leonine infantry. Two turns into the game, we jokingly decided it was a secret 'king of the hill' scenario. No one knew!



Goblins to the east? Leonines to the west? Time to charge right into the middle!

Above you can see my sorceress, hiding behind the elite polearm guards. (I forgot to base my general and the sorceress, will have to correct that before we play next time.) The sorceress accomplished.... very little all game. Chalking that one up to my inexperience with how movement works in the game. Line of sight is crucial, even if spellcasters are squishy. Especially from ranged attacks.




Speaking of ranged attacks, this pic commemorates when my skirmishers took a random shot at the leonines on the hill, and eliminated their general. (Hello, Harold!)

It also commemorates the sweet measuring stick I made on my lunchbreak at work, since I had forgotten my measuring tape, but we had a bunch of coffee stirrers. 



 The Dragonman follows up after crushing his opponents. So mighty.

The remaining Hyperborean elves form a defensive square to fend off assaults from two sides. It doesn't help. My veteran troops were hella tough, but numbers took their toll.


Attrition was massive, as forces were whittled down. The Dragonman was finally eliminated, but only through dedicated effort. After my elves were routed, the last few stands duked it out, until the goblins reigned supreme, with only the warlord and maybe another stand or two besides.

So, highly enjoyable game. Plays fast, but includes enough tactical depth and variety to keep us entertained, I think. We're already talking about different armies to try or how to expand next. (We're also going to expand these armies, so we can use them to try out Pride of Lions as well.) Maurice also wrote his side of the story, check it out on his blog here.



 
Two of Maurice's figs, because that guy can paint.

6 comments:

  1. Nce batrep, Great sounding game and looks like you had fun. Could we have some pics of the armies please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have like two more nights of painting to finish up my army, and then will put together a gallery of the figs with a quick writeup of the background. Will take more closeups of Maurice's toys next time we play too. (And Aaron's once he gets them painted, hint hint.)

      Delete
  2. Nice report, how do you think the rules would handle bigger games I'm talki 20+ units per side?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the report PMJJ! I've got a bunch of 15mm Splintered Light miniatures I bought with an eye to replacing the 28mm figures I use for roleplaying. Maybe I should give Mighty Armies a look as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend it, yes. Fast playing and fun. We are looking at Pride of Lions for larger battles, but basing our figs to use in either.

      Delete
  4. There are a ton of great 15mm rulesets out there. Considering how affordable the figs are, it's a no-brainer for me (not to mention the fact that they look amazing and are fun to paint).

    20+ Units (bases) would work fine. Eventually you might need to up it to 2d6 order points, but otherwise, I think you'd be ok. You'd just need to marshal effectively.

    -Maurice

    ReplyDelete