Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Gencon 2014: day three


OK, let's get this put away before another month rolls in. Couple items to mention before we get back to the gaming.


Our hotel (the Crown Plaza) was pretty good, and very conveniently located. But the price you pay for that is a bunch of creepy statues all over the place. You know, like eerie ghosts appearing out of the corner of your eye.

Seriously.

So if you're ever in Indianapolis with a Doctor Who fan, you know where to stay.



As the con has been there for many years, some of the local restaurants really get into the spirit of things. Age of the geek, baby.



And one for fans of Parks and Recreation, while I am here.



Saturday was the day I skipped the Critical Mass demos, as Aaron and Maurice were kind enough to give me time to be ready for my tournament.


So it was all Protolene and Praesentia that day.

More Uncharted Seas, this time versus kaiju! Almost makes me wish I liked ship games. Almost.



And then, the event that would take the majority of my Saturday, the culmination of virtually hours of effort: the Bushido tournament.


What I done brought. Also known as, the figs from the Temple starter, plus two blisters. 



Turn one, I was up against Chris and his dastardly Cult of Yurei, the foul undead. Scenario was 'Keii,' and was slated to last six long rounds. 


With the fearsome Ikiryo in the backfield, and the Wraith sitting like an 400 lb. gorilla in the middle of the field, I knew I would have to move aggressively if I had a chance to dislodge them. Also, I had an (actual) 400 lb. gorilla of my own to send in. A few dice rolls go my way, and while I lose the Guardian, I also get the advantage by taking out their heavy hitters.


Above, the Gaki and the Nezumi (plus many rats) work to take down Yumi and score some last minute victory points, but the Temple take the day in the end. Whew!


Unrelated interlude! Blackwater Gulch being played at a nearby table!

On another table, the Silvermoon square off against the Cult. Danger abounds!



In some sort of symbolic coincidence, this is my only pic from game two that came out halfway decent. Hoj, of Dark Age tournament fame, brought some well-painted Ito to the table, and made quick work of my monks. Scenario was 'Ryodo,' and I just couldn't get anything done versus their pile of poison. We called it halfway through when we saw the way the wind was blowing.



Round three was a flashback: I drew Mr. Jack and his Savage Wave, my opponents from day one of the Dojo! Scenario was the Idols, a fan favorite, and we tucked in for an all-day beating.


Battle lines quickly form up, monsters everywhere.


Kenko, the monk with the iron fists, holds off against a Kaihei and a Giant Cave Bat. Which he does. For tuns on end. I couldn't fail a roll to save my life. He couldn't really significantly hurt them, but that wasn't what he was there for.


He holds the objective like a champion, and the remaining Temple forces come to pull his bacon out of the pan. A hard-fought win!

Inexplicably, my performance lands me in contention for the title, so I stick around for round four. I'm up against Anthony and his Savage Wave, many more Bakemono today. The final scenario, as teased by our Retainer? 'The Envoy.' It's... certainly something. You name the VIP on the enemy side, and they name a VIP on your side. Points are for getting your VIP off their side of the board, and/or eliminating their VIP. So it's a quick and brutal clusterfuck. Beautiful.


Team Greyscale

He picks Aiko, because who better to beat up than a slow, weak, and cowardly little girl?

Team Painted Well

On his side, I pick... one of the Bakemono. Who knows which one, I can't tell them apart. I think he was a Beater.


The board is a rocky mountain pass. So thematic! I send Kenko to the northeast to draw off the heavy hitters, and Yumi to the southeast on some sort of assassination black op.


This is, of course, a disaster. Yumi gets tied up, as does Kenko, but we did manage to spread outselves out far enough to let an Oni sneak in and plaster our VIP. On turn three. Sigh. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, it was a good game! And Robert was a true gentleman and a scholar. But that's a rough scenario (hence why our Retainer was excited to spring it on us.) I end up in fourth place, but I will take that any day of the week. My mission was to play a lot of Bushido, and that was accomplished. Good folks, good figs, good game.


I suspect I will take a few years off before returning to Gencon. It's fun, but it's a lot of people and a lot of money. And it'll be there when I am ready to go back. Back to the smaller local con scene, for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment